The Comox Valley Art Gallery and Comox Valley Community Arts Council invited students from schools in the Comox Valley to participate in an anyone and everyone make art project as part of our thematic self-portraiture show “Sooner or Later”. Visitors to the gallery are also invited to create self-portraits on-site during the exhibition to add to the CVAG Community Space.
Sooner or Later everyone makes a self-portrait. Self-portraits involve looking inward and/or looking out to the world around us, and this representation of self may change over time and in relation to shifting perspectives. Self-representation covers a wide range of territory and may reflect such things as historical, social, political or personal circumstances.
CONTEMPORARY SELF-PORTRAITURE – WHAT IS MY INSPIRATION?
– Representations of identity, awkwardness, vulnerability, desensitization, empowerment and risk-taking;
– Opportunities for community storytelling, collaboration, choreography and autobiography;
– Declarations of self-existence, authorship, consciousness and unconsciousness;
– Explorations of body as material, randomness, control, mortality and immortality, concealing, and exposure;
– Expressions of past/present/future selves, desires, fantasies, self as signifier (personal, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, class, culture);
– Positioning self as protagonist/ antagonist;
– Connections in relation to place and/or placelessness