The Comox Valley Art Gallery has various opportunities that are by submission from artists, collectives and curators.
1. Self-Directed Independent Residencies
The Comox Valley Art Gallery provides artists and communities with space to engage in arts-based research, activations, creative exploration of materials and process, community relations, and concept development through its Project Room Studio program and independent self directed CVAG NEXT DOOR residency opportunity.
Project Room Studio opportunities occur throughout the CVAG spaces. Projects may be stand-alone or woven into the gallery’s thematic programming as preparatory inquiry and development for future exhibition work. Project Room Studios offer workings spaces where artists can dedicate time to do their creative development and research work. Occasionally, artists will open their space to community, informally or for specific events. Information about Project Room Studio events are available at the gallery and are posted in the CVAG e-news and on CVAG web and social media sites.
CVAG NEXT DOOR
We invite you to read the following information about this residency, but please note that this opportunity is on hold during the current global conditions.
Initiated in 2020 by the Comox Valley Art Gallery, CVAG NEXT DOOR independent self-directed residencies are open to domestic and international artists and curators engaged in contemporary interdisciplinary art practice. The spacious contemporary residence, situated two doors from the gallery, offers a space to focus on creative research without distraction, demands or expectations. The gallery provides this opportunity as a way of supporting deep and sustained artistic practice during residency periods that are two weeks to a maximum of six weeks in length.
2. Programming Submissions – DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 1, 2020
The Comox Valley Art Gallery provides opportunities for exhibition in all disciplines, encourages diverse public engagement, promotes awareness of contemporary art, and provides adjunct learning opportunities. The Comox Valley Art Gallery engages with regional, national and international communities to present contemporary art issues and practices.
CVAG Submission Guidelines 2020
Exhibitions are generally six weeks in length and include an art opening to introduce the work to the public. Adjunct and outreach programming (artist talks, performances, workshops, panel discussions, etc.) is developed and reviewed on an individual basis. On-site adjunct and outreach programming may occur in the gallery spaces, on the street front plaza, in the community space, viewing booth or studio.
The Comox Valley Art Gallery pays CARFAC fees. Where funding permits, a portion of one-way travel/shipping, accommodation and per-diem is provided. CVAG produces printed and digital material to promote and engage audiences including invitations, media releases and didactics. All projects are documented digitally and in other media as appropriate – this source material is available to participants for their archive. Selections of documentation are housed on our website and posted to our Facebook page regularly.
CVAG’s contemporary gallery presentation spaces include the South Gallery, the George Sawchuk Gallery, the Window Gallery, and the Community Gallery. A new addition to the presentation spaces is GATHER:PLACE. The space offer exterior view and unique artist activation and community engagement opportunities.
CVAG Submission Guidelines 2020
1. Cover letter with your contact information (mailing address, email address, website, phone contact)
2. Artist and/or Curatorial Statement (1 page max)
3. Project Description/Intention for presentation (2 page max)
4. Curriculum Vitae for all participants (3 page max each)
5. Image list (title, dimensions, dates, media)
6. Other relevant support material
7. Equipment list and/or specialized technical requirements
8. Schedule of activities (if applicable)
– Compile items 1-8 into one pdf document and label with your full name_submission.
9. Support material can include digital images (20 max, 1024 x 768, 1 MB each max) and/or time based work (15 min max).
– Images must be numbered, titled and correspond to the image list (example: 01_title.jpg) or
– You may compile your jpegs into one PDF file and label this with your full name_support material.
– Time-based work may be submitted as .mov, .mp4, .avi or a private link to Youtube, Vimeo or Flickr.
*If you are submitting a combination of images and time-based work, include 10 images and 10 min of time-based work maximum.
CVAG encourages digital submissions by email or by shared Dropbox invite.
SEND TO: email@example.com
SUBJECT LINE: CVAG Gallery Submission 2020
You will be sent an email confirmation of your application. If you are unable to send your submission electronically, you can mail it to:
Comox Valley Art Gallery (CVAG Gallery Submission 2020)
580 Duncan Avenue Courtenay BC V9N 2M7
The gallery does not return submissions – please do not send original artworks or valuable materials.
See more about CVAG programming at: comoxvalleyartgallery.com and on our Facebook page. Call 250.338.6211 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require other assistance regarding your submission.
3. Submission to Thematic Calls – YMP / SHOP MADE / SPECIAL PROGRAMS
Throughout the year calls are put out for participation in the CVAG Youth Media Project / and for participation in the SHOP MADE winter market/ and special programs at CVAG.
Currently no Thematic Calls are active.