Sooner or Later
The Comox Valley Art Gallery and the Comox Valley Community Arts Council invited community members to participate in an exhibition that celebrates our diverse creative community. We welcomed current, past and historical local Comox Valley artists, writers, performers, collaborators, creative collectives and cultural thinkers to submit work for Sooner or Later, a thematic show that examines diverse representations of contemporary self-portraiture in all media.
EXHIBITION THEME: CONTEMPORARY SELF-PORTRAITURE
Sooner or Later every artist makes a self-portrait. Self-portraits involve looking inward and/or looking out to the world around us, and this representation of self may change over time and in relation to shifting perspectives. Self-representation covers a wide range of territory and may reflect such things as historical, social, political or personal circumstances.
This exhibition included work in all media including, but not limited to: visual arts, time-based + media arts, print + written word, performance, site-specific, non-traditional formats, mobile and social media, experimental and interdisciplinary explorations. This may involve traditional or mixed processes, repurposing, upcycling or more hybrid creative approaches.
CONTEMPORARY SELF-PORTRAITURE – WHAT IS MY INSPIRATION?
– Representations of identity, awkwardness, vulnerability, desensitization, empowerment and risk-taking;
– Opportunities for community storytelling, collaboration, choreography and autobiography;
– Declarations of self-existence, authorship, consciousness and unconsciousness;
– Explorations of body as material, randomness, control, mortality and immortality, concealing, and exposure;
– Expressions of past/present/future selves, desires, fantasies, self as signifier (personal, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, class, culture);
– Positioning self as protagonist/ antagonist;
– Connections in relation to place and/or placelessness
Sooner or Later Submission Guidelines – SUBMISSON DEADLINE HAS PASSED
FOR MORE INFORMATION PHONE: 250.334.2983 (cvcac) or 250.338.6211 (cvag)
Sooner or Later every artist makes a self portraitJune 1 2016 - June 30 2016
CVAG and the Comox Valley Community Arts Council invite you to participate in a community exhibition that celebrates our diverse creative community.June 1 2016 - June 30 2016
Sooner or Later every artist makes a self-portrait.June 3 2016
Join us for this new collaboration between the Comox Valley Art Gallery and the Elevate Arts Festival for the 5th Annual Festival! Women weaving words into the soft of the evening on the plaza in front of the Comox Valley Art Gallery. Join us for two hours of women sharing their words, their sounds, their voices.June 2 2016 - June 2 2016